Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:28:49 -0600
From:      "Young, Jason" <Jason.Young@anheuser-busch.com>
To:        "'Matt Dillon'" <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: List of things to move from main tree to ports (was Re:  Wish List (was: Re: The /usr/bin/games bikeshed again))

Mark made a well-reasoned proposal to take some extremely ancient, rarely used
games and get them out of the base system. I bet most people would agree that
it's a good idea.

But the discussion meandered over into the whole "we need to rip XXX out of the
base system" thing, where XXX is a topic of religious significance (MTAs, DNS
servers, editors, nonencrypting network utilities, etc).

The other things have been discussed to death and they'll more than likely get
discussed to death again now. Cy, I'm sure you mean well but I'm afraid you will
destroy any chance for Mark to do this one useful non-controversial thing if you
try to mix in the issue of sendmail and other controversial utilities.

Is it possible to just set everything but the games aside for the moment? It's
not like people won't discuss it in the future if it's set aside right now.

Jason Young
CNS - Network Design, Anheuser-Busch
(314)577-4597