Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:47:27 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Indicating patch levels

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
>
> > Patchlevels are just indicated as a minor version bump.  I.e., if
> > previous version was 1.6.3, and you now have patchlevel 1.6.3-2, we
> > indicate that with "1.6.3.2".  Hence:

<snip>
> In other words, I'd like to add a LOCALVERSION which should be reset to 0
> with each "official" version upgrade, and incremented each time there's a
> local change to the content of the port, and packages would be named
> according to:
>
> ${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}-${LOCALVERSION}

This version (Linux-like) has one major advantage.  If I port
TheEndAllSoftware V1.4 and make some changes it will become
TheEndAllSoftware-1.4.2.tgz.  Then there is an official bug release
V1.4.1.  It might look like we went backwards.

The the -${LOCALVERSION} method first there would be:
TheEndAllSoftware-1.4-2.tgz followed by TheEndAllSoftware-1.4.1.tgz and
less confusion.

Some ports lend them selves better to this then others and we need to
use it properly.  There also should be modifications to add_package,
maybe, to support fetching newer version optionally if they exist.  But
that is jumping too far ahead.

Jim
--
"...there's no idea that's so good you can't
    ruin it with a few well-placed idiots."