Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2002 01:07:53 +0100
From:      Alfatrion <alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[2]: telnet/ftp security

Hello Joe,

Resorted due to topposting....

JFB>> I have telnet & FTP ID/PW access to my FBSD gateway/ipfw
JFB>> box from the internet. Are there any security holes in
JFB>> these two applications that would allow breaking into my system?

JFB> The biggest security holes in those application is the lack of
JFB> security. Both application send the usernames, passwords and the data
JFB> unencrypted. All one has to do is sniff the username and passwords to
JFB> gain access to the system. SSH(v2) and sftp are the equivalent
JFB> encrypted versions. (a lot of other procolls are unsave to, like pop3,
JFB> smtp, ect.)

JFB> I have my machine set up so that it can not be reached from the
JFB> internet with telnet, but did leave other procols untouched. To
JFB> compromis for this i installed the use of one-time-use password, for
JFB> certain users. You can check 'man skey' for this.

JFB> I only access the FBSD/gateway/ipfw box from ms/windows
JFB> machines. You implied the SSH(v2) and sftp are the
JFB> equivalent encrypted versions of telnet & ftp.
JFB> Are these windows clients, and if so where do I get
JFB> them from?

Yes, No - well they are protcolls. Since i don't use sftp, I can only
tell you where to get a (there are unix version to) ssh client. Putty
is a free client for windows.
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ Once installed, you
have to search to change the default setting so you use SSH version 2,
unlease you have reasons to do others wise.

You also need to enable the SSH server on your server (same with
telnet). There is no big reason not use / enable telnet, if you use it
on the intranet. (You wanna close for the outside with a firewall)

JFB> I read the man skey and it's assocated other commands
JFB> man pages. As usual these man pages lacks any how to
JFB> setup and use info.
JFB> Is there any how-to-use infor you can point me to?

I made my example out of the book FreeBSD unleased. Basically what you
need to do is make your own rule set and put these in /etc/skey.acces
(this wil also enable it) and then create your one-time-only with
keyinit.

So if you have the book read this. If you wanna buy a book consider
it, its easy to read and covers a lot of topics. But main things you
wanna read are 'man skey', 'man 5 skey.acces' and 'man 1 keyinit'.

--
Best regards,
 Alfatrion                            mailto:alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl