Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:56:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security settings documentation

>Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:43:58 -0500 (EST)
>From: Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>

>I would disagree with -bd being mandatory.  Sure it is needed if the
>server is a mailserver or needs to recieve mail for some reason.  I agree
>that it should be "-bd -q30m" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, but I think the
>"High" security profile should have only -q30m.  In fact I think the
>Fascist level should have this setting instead of disabling sendmail
>altogether.

>If you disable sendmail altogether, doesn't that keep the daily/weekly
>root mails from being sent?

-bd says to start sendmail as a daemon, listening on TCP/25 (SMTP).

-q30m says to automatically "run the queue" (check the queue for
undelivered mail and try to deliver it) every 30 minutes.

It is not necessary to run a sendmail daemon at all in order to merely
send locally-generated mail, and it is only necessary to run the queue
if mail gets stuck there.  (An alternative to having the daemon run the
queue periodically is to fire up "sendmail -q" via cron.)

(My news server does not have anything listening on TCP/25, nor is sendmail
configured to run the queue; it sends the daily, weekly, & monthly reports
to me just fine.)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823