Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:45:55 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Duerr <duerra@pushitlive.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Man Pages Thoughts

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:43:42 -0500
Anthony Duerr <duerra@pushitlive.net> wrote:

> Thanks for your replies.
> I was actually referring to the man pages in general.  Prototypes can
> get somewhat confusing rather easily if you're not well versed.  Here's
> the prototype from scp:
>
>      scp [-pqrvBC1246] [-F ssh_config] [-S program] [-P port] [-c cipher]
>          [-i identity_file] [-l limit] [-o ssh_option] [[user@]host1:]file1
>          [...] [[user@]host2:]file2

This isn't really a 'prototype' but a command/flags/parameter list.

void blah(int a, char c);

Now there's a prototype.  :)

> Now, this one isn't really that bad.  After you figure it out, it makes
> complete sense.  Sometimes the sub-options ( [[[  ]]]) can get rather
> deep, though, and start to become really confusing (especially for
> lesser experienced users like myself).
>
> I realize that changing all the man pages is not going to happen.  I
> don't see a particular need for them to all be sludged through, but
> rather when the man pages are updated, something like that could be
> added as well.  In the case of scp, something like this:
>
> Examples:
> scp -r username@remotehost.com: /path/to/local/dir/
> /path/to/remote/dir   /* This recursively copies a local directory to a
> remote directory using the current user */
> scp username@remotehost.com: /a/file.txt /remote/directory/file.txt  /*
> This copies local file "file.txt" to /remote/directory/file.txt */
>
> Now, the example above isn't exactly flawless, but you get the idea.
>
> And yes, I do realize that this wouldn't be necessary for all man
> pages.  It would be useful for many applications, however.

Actually, this is an OpenBSD manual page and the changes should
be submitted back to them.  Although I agree that some manual
pages would be better understood for users if they had at least
one well explained example.

--
Tom Rhodes