Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 05:59:32 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ache@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Major changes to libdialog planned.

Just a heads-up in case you (or anybody else) are doing any work in
there?  I'd like to bring in some fundamental changes that will be
entirely backwards compatible with old client code but definitely not
internally.

With my next commit, the libdialog API will support an additional
calling syntax which allows individual menu items to support "check"
and "fire" actions.  In radio/multi-choice menus, the check action can
manipulate internal variables to control mutual exclusion and such
(sysinstall can *definitely* use this feature!).  Individual fire
actions do away with having to parse that evil `result' string when
you're just using libdialog from an application.

While I was at it, I also gave you the ability to change the labels in
the "OK and Cancel" buttons as well as wire callbacks to them for
special case handling.

After I finish up this commit, I have plans to go into
print_autowrap() and add character attributes and colors.  It's the
first step to being able to write a decent HTML display text box so we
can shake our reliance on lynx (though that's quite a bit farther into
the future, so we'll see!) and of immediate use in sparking up the
documentation a bit.

Then maybe I'll add character entry callbacks to the text entry
routines.  :-)

Any objections, scream now, though I'd actually rather that folks wait
for my commit before doing so too much.  One of the other things I'm
bringing in is a *man page* for libdialog which explains how the whole
system works and it'd be nice if people at least read the spec before
flaming it.  :-)

					Jordan