Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2012 01:22:54 -0800
From:      Rob Farmer <rfarmer@predatorlabs.net>
To:        Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make release custom kernel conf not found

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com> wr=
ote:
> Thanks Rob...
>
> I put the kernel conf file in the source tree as opposed to linking to
> it and it certainly did compile the custom kernel.
>
> What confuses me (not that I expect you to have the answer) is that
> Chapter 9 of the handbook has a tip that recommends keeping the kernel
> config in /root/kernels and symlinking to it from the source tree. =A0If
> it doesn't work, why is there a tip recommending this practice?

I think the idea is to avoid accidentally deleting it - sometimes
people who get weird build errors are told to delete /usr/src and
/usr/obj, to make sure everything is in a consistent state.

The symlink will work fine for normal builds, which is what the
handbook covers, but the release building process installs a new copy
of the base system and then runs within it, to try and ensure a
completely stock environment. Any changes you made to the main system
(make.conf, custom kernels, etc.) are intentionally ignored. As Lowell
points out, the "right" way to do this is make either a patch or a
script to add your changes and have the release framework apply it.
Copying it in is the quick and dirty fix.

--=20
Rob Farmer