Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 1997 23:33:45 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        rlb@mindspring.com (Ron Bolin)
Subject:   Re: AHC SCSI and XMCD Halt System

As Ron Bolin wrote:

> When using 2.2REL ENG cvsup 3-20-97.
>
> System: Adaptech 2940UW and Fujitsu 2954QAU
> with a Toshiba 3701B SCSI-II CDROM.
>
> When I use Xmcd 2.1 the system reboots (every time), it didn't do this
> b4
> 3-3-97.

Fix: Don't let xmcd use direct SCSI commands.  They are ugly, and are
totally unnecessary under FreeBSD since the official API is the ioctl
commands that are also understood by the other CD-ROM device drivers,
not just SCSI only.  (I appreciate that other systems are much more
limited in this respect, thus xmcd uses direct SCSI commands there.)

Nevertheless, you might want to search for the actual bug.  This
probably involves enabling SCSI_DEBUG, including syslogging to a
networked machine (since the kernel printf's probably won't make it to
your own disk due to the SCSI problems).

--
cheers, J"org