Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 2015 07:36:50 -0400
From:      Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
To:        CK <nibbana@gmx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Endless Data Loss

> it's happening on ATA drives, USB flash drives,
> a few of each kind.  So, it's definitely not a hardware problem.

Well, that's not a guarantee if everything's connected to the same
motherboard.

Have you tried temporarily disconnecting all other drives and installing
a fresh copy of the OS on a spare drive and seeing if the problem
persists? It kinda sounds like part of the subsystem that flushes the
disk cache is messed up or something.

> FreeBSD forums blocks my access, possibly because I don't have a
> high-speed connection, so I can't read the material there.

I asked the list about this just recently. It turns out the forums now
*require* either TLS 1.1 or 1.2. To complicate matters, some browsers
that technically support this (FF 23-24, IE 8-10, OP 10-12, etc) have it
disabled by default for some bizarre reason, requiring you to manually
hunt through the settings to turn it on.