Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:25:50 +0930 (CST)
From:      grog@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, nelson@pangeia.com.br, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI 1542 error

Tom Samplonius writes:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Nate Williams wrote:
>
>>> I'm have a problem with maybe more well know board.
>>>
>>> One hour after install FreeBSD 2.2.2 on 486, with 32Mb and SCSI 1542C,
>>> my console say:
>>
>> You're not the first.  It appears to me from watching the mailing list
>> that the 1542 boards are not supported in 2.2.  *Many* people have
>> reported problems with them, which unfortunately means that I can no
>> longer do 2.2 development at home. :(
>
>   It just appears that bounce buffers are broken.

I think I'd go along with that.  I recently upgraded from a version of
3.0-current just before Christmas last year to the latest version.
Since then, without changing the configuration file, I'm getting lots
of these messages:

Jul 30 13:36:31 freebie /kernel: aha0: DMA beyond end Of ISA: 0x3183d14
Jul 30 13:36:32 freebie /kernel: aha0: DMA beyond end Of ISA: 0x3354d14
Jul 30 13:47:48 freebie /kernel: aha0: DMA beyond end Of ISA: 0x3394d14
Jul 30 13:47:50 freebie /kernel: aha0: DMA beyond end Of ISA: 0x31bfd14

Of course I have BOUNCE_BUFFERS set in the config file.

In addition, lots of spurious error messages are caused by my Archive
DDS changer.  It got so bad (for some reason the driver wasn't able to
read or write the tape) that I had to hang it on the 2940 which I
usually reserve for disks (where it works perfectly).

I'm copying this to -scsi, since it really beloings there.

Greg