Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:48:45 -0800
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "brandon" <DriverDown@netzero.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd installation

Brandon...

|hi. i'm trying to figure out what all i'm going to need to download
if i'm |going to install freebsd. i'll probably be doing it from dos
on an old 486 |i have. any help i can get would be greatly
appreciated. thanks much.

Just finished doing the same thing. I'll describe my system and the
way I did things and you can go from there:

486DX2-66/20M RAM
1.1G HDD ->master on primary controller-->win95
850M HDD ->slave on primary -->FreeBSD

Use Windows ftp client called NetButler to scoop FreeBSD 3.3Release
from cdrom.com. I first created c:\freebsd with sub-directories that
matched those at cdrom.com, e.g. c:\freebsd\bin; c:\freebsd\dict etc
etc. Then I used NetButler to DL an entire directory at a time. You
can set up "tasks" in NetButler each representing a directory to
download. Then when you connect to cdrom.com you simply start one or
more tasks. Anyway, this will get FreeBSD on your C:\ drive. As well,
you need to go to the "tools" directory at cdrom.com and scoop the
following:

fdimage.exe; kern.flp; and mfsroot.flp

and tuck them away in c:\freebsd. I wrote a reply to this list
earlier today about what to do once you have the above squared away.
I screwed up in the post I'm refering to using boot.flp when I meant
kern.flp.

If you need more assistance, contact me off the list so as to not use
bandwidth on a matter that may not be of interest to many folks here
on the list -- legacy stuff, don't you know! Let me know how you make
out!

Good Luck.....duke

ps--if you go to http://www.homepageware.com/ you can get NetButler -
free.