Date:      Sat, 04 Aug 2012 16:19:12 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.0 - GPT boot problems?

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 22:58:52 -0700
Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not clear from your message, but did you use the gpart bootcode
> command to write the protective MBR and the gptboot code as documented
> in the gpart(8) man page?

Yes (this is why I wrote this message as a followup to the thread), all that was done in my first attempt, the problem is that the brain-dead firmware in this machine
sees a GPT-partitioned disk and decides for itself that GPT = (U)EFI, and thus looks only for the EFI system partition, it does not try to boot from the gptboot in the freebsd-boot partition.
If I use a  MBR-partitoned drive, it boots ok.
And yes, the BIOS (sorry, UEFI firmware) is the latest that Acer has provided for this machine.

Just trying to make haeds and tails out of this UEFI thing, to see if it is a workable solution.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@getmail.no>