Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:33:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is a good language for system administration?

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 rene@xs4all.nl wrote:

> So I've learned how to do basic scripting in /bin/sh. But boy-oh-boy is that
> language arcane. ;-)
>
> What other language do you guys advise for system administration tasks such
> as
<SNIP>

Perl is _THE_ sysadmin language, really.  It runs on just about
everything, and in fact, most common versions of UNIX come with it already
installed.  Then also, you get all this other stuff stuff already written
in perl that you can use to learn from or build your own scripts off of,
and lots and lots of Perl modules for common tasks so that you don't have
to write everything yourself, etc.

PHP is a web-based language, more for web stuff than system
administration.

But if nothing else, it would be good to at least have a passing
familiarity with other scripting languages.  Perl would often be overkill
for some simple things where sh or ksh excel.  And you might need to debug
or modify other peoples scripts written in various languages.

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com