Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 07:43:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        fports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: build of teTeX stalled

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Gary Kline wrote:

> This is the second time.  the first time install-info was
> missing from /usr/bin.   I put it in by hand.
>
> This is more obscure.   Anybody know what this means??
>
> Done.
>
> Running inimp to create plain mem ...
> This is MetaPost, Version 0.631 (C version 6.1) (INIMP)
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/metapost/config/mp.ini
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/metapost/base/plain.mp
> Preloading the plain mem file, version 0.62) )
> Beginning to dump on file mp.mem
>  (mem=mp 97.11.19)
>  at most 1417 strings of total length 24007
>  3296 memory locations dumped; current usage is 979&2225
>  475 symbolic tokens
>  Transcript written on mp.log.
>  Done.
>
>  /usr/bin/install-info /usr/local/info/latex /usr/local/info/dir
>  /usr/bin/install-info /usr/local/info/kpathsea.info /usr/local/info/dir
>  /usr/bin/install-info /usr/local/info/dvips.info /usr/local/info/dir
>  /usr/bin/install-info: no info dir entry in `/usr/local/info/dvips.info'
>  *** Error code 1

I'd have to see your files to be sure, but that last line looks funny,
somehow.  The "dir" file is a file that all the different subjects in an
info directory share, sort of a table of contents.  The info program opens
up the dir file, and looks for lines that allow it to jump off to the
differetn subjects, so any new info subject (like dvips.info) needs to
write a single line into the pre-existing dir file.

I'm not sure why that last line is there ... I'll look at it later if I
can get time, but there's two things that install-info needs to do, copy
the info file and write the dir line.  It looks like it's interpreting
/usr/local/info/dvips.info as a directory name, and failing to find the
"dir" file in that directory.  No wonder.

>  Stop.
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop.
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop.
>  tao#
>

> The file ``dir'' is part of an info file, but I have no clue how
> all of this fits into dvips.info.
>

> gary
>

> --
>   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix