Date:      Tue, 22 May 2012 22:58:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Connect to Clear hub modem

This is NOT a wireless question.

I am running FreeBSD 8.3-p1.

I want to connect to Clear Wireless Internet.  I know I cannot do this with
a Clear dongle, because Clear uses WiMax which is not supported.

Instead I have a Clear hub modem.  I want to connect by ethernet to it by
wire.

I get this from ifconfig:

re0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
 	options=209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC>
 	ether 40:61:86:e9:96:0e
 	status: active

But I don't have a clue what to do from here.

The hub is supposed to have a web page at (imaginary address) 192.168.15.1,
but I haven't been able to raise it.

The handbook has only a couple of references to ethernet, neither of which
seem to apply here, and seem to be from the point of view of setting up a
hub server, but the hub is more or less a black box to me.

If anyone has already done this, please explain -- slowly and loudly.

Oh, yeah, Clear Customer Service is strictly for the entertainment of
masochists.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html