Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:34:24 +0100
From:      "Alson van der Meulen" <alson@flutnet.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PXE/DHCP/tftpd boot failure in FBSD 4.4-STABLE since yesterday!! Please Help!

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 11:50:35PM +0100, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Chris Peiffer wrote:
>

> For testing purposes, I switched the sources back to the 20th October,
> I know that this codestage definitely worked! I recompiled a 'make world',
> all the terminal related stuff, new kernels and installed them, then I
> rebooted. After reboot I recompiled the dhcp code from the ports, with the
> same effect: nothing has changed, the stations still fail to boot. I think this is
> a problem with our LAN and the maintanace of the computer center.
>
> Now is the essentiell question: how to figure out what's going wrong?
> I need to examine what the DHCP recieves and delivers and I need to
> know what type of packets are exchanged between the DHCP server,
> its client and what happens when the client has recieved its dhcp
> config info and trys to get pxeboot image. How can I watch whether the
> diskless client gets its pxeboot image? Well, I would like to know
> some details about the protocol. The reason is, that the guys of our computer
> center tend to push away responsibilty and I would like to avoid having
> all the trouble I did not produce carrying on my shoulders ...
tcpdump is your friend I guess, possibly together with ethereal.

It should at least be possible to see dhcp requests, offers, etc.

If the kernel is transfered using TFTP, it should be difficult to see
that in tcpdump.

With ethereal you will be able to analyze traffic captured with tcpdump
more closely.

You should run tcpdump on the DHCP server if you've a switched network (I guess so).

Also, try to enable as much logging (or debugging) as possible in dhcpd, tftp (-l switch), etc.

HTH,
Alson
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:        alson@flutnet.org        <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
what's this hash prompt on my terminal mean?