Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:07:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86-4 Makefile distinfo pkg-plistpkg-plist.alpha pkg-plist.pc98 ports/x11/XFree86-4/files patch-dp

> > | whole linux kernel into distribution, so what?

It'd conflict with the Linux kernel from the emulators/linux-kernel port?

> Well, it is doens't really differ from the situation when XFree86 depends on
> print/freetype2 port - you do ``cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 ; make install''
> and have freetype2 library + XFree86 installed automatically.

> I think that you do not understand the problems created by the fact that
> there is two ports that install freetype2 library.

Everything in the XFree86 port (including other things which are available
separately--see PR 15545) is installed by some other port.  It will be in
conflict until it's turned into a meta-port, something jmz has said he
will neither write nor maintain. Perhaps he will change his mind (although
it doesn't sound likely). The real problem is that the ports and packages
don't support conflicts (patches to add such support have been provided by
Scot Hetzel in PRs 13649 and 13650--see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freebsd-ports/message/38761).  In the
absence of such support, I mention conflicts in the pkg-comment and
pkg-descr files.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt