Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:50:48 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Processing IP options reveals IPSTEALH router

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 05:33:13PM +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 06:19:29PM +0300, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> >
> > I ran into an absolutely clear, but year-old PR pointing out that
> > a router in the IPSTEALTH mode will reveal itself when processing
> > IP options: kern/23123.
> >
> > The fix proposed seems clean and right to me: don't do IP options
> > at all when in the IPSTEALTH mode.  Does anyone have objections?
> > If no, I'll commit the fix.
> >
> What if the packet is directed to us?  I think we should still
> process options in this case, and the patch in the PR doesn't
> seem to do it.

Good point!  Indeed, just ignoring IP options would let a third
party to identify a FreeBSD host as a stealthy router.  I think
it's safe to move doing IP options to after identifying an IP packet
as destined for this or another host.  I'll make a patch and show it
here.

> <PS>
> I was going to replace IPSTEALTH functionality with the
> net.inet.ip.decttl knob.  Setting it to 0 would match the
> IPSTEALTH behavior, the default value will be 1.
> </PS>

In fact, IPSTEALTH does already have a sysctl knob: net.inet.ip.stealth,
which is initially zero (i.e. don't be stealthy.) To my mind, the
"stealth" name fits its purpose better since just leaving TTL
untouched is insufficient for a router to achieve really stealthy
behaviour.

--
Yar