Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:28:43 +0100
From:      a.brancatelli.mail@sara.it
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot from CD (this time in ASCII :) )

Sorry about previous mail in HTML and something else.

Hello everybody.

I'm working on a thing I never tried before. I did some googling but I
don't think I haven't found any thing correlated to this.

The situation is pretty simple: I'm configuring a FreeBSD (6.1) server =
boot from a SAN thru a QLogic 2340 Fiber Channel card. This in general =
is
not a problem as I already have another working machine with this solut=
ion.

Now for a couple of reason not related to FreeBSD this new machine won'=
yet _ boot _ from the SAN itself but at the same time have all the syst=
em
installed on the SAN. What I need to do is have a (local) boot device t=
hat
loads the bootsector, the kernel and then starts everything else from t=
he
disk in SAN.

I thought about accomplishing this with a BOOT-CD that starts up the ke=
rnel
and then from the fstab loads the /, /etc, /usr and so on from the SAN.=

Now my question is this: how do the kernel know where to search the fst=
ab
(considered that the fstab says where to find the /etc)? I mean: I supp=
ose
I have to put on the CDROM an exact /etc/fstab for that installation?? =
Or
this could be avoided? Also because I may need to edit the fstab for th=
machine without having to reburn the CD? so what? Or maybe the kernel c=
an
actually just be read from the CD and then everything else from the ( S=
AN |
local ) drive? Am I missing something?

I'm yet in the make buildworld buildkernel stage so maybe when making t=
he
make distribution to create the ISO everything will appear clearer to m=
but right now something it's not really clear.

I hope the scenario is clear.

Any suggestion? Any link to any kind of documentation?

Thank you very much.

Andrea Brancatelli=