Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 21:47:36 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier), hasty@rah.star-gate.com, current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intelligent Debugging Tools...

On Apr 24, 13:28, Michael Smith wrote:
} Marc G. Fournier stands accused of saying:
} >
} > 	Is it also a hardware problem that prevents me from getting
} > a coredump after issuing 2xpanic at the ddb> prompt to cause it to
} > reboot?  My -current machine reboots and drops core so that I can
} > run kgdb against it, but my -stable machine won't :(
}
} This machines has an NCR controller in it IIRC.  You should talk to
} Stefan about this - dumping requires the controller to run in polled
} mode, and it's possible that's not happening.

Well, I've got to admit, that it is possible
the dump code isn't working with the current
NCR driver. I didn't test it myself lately,
but there has been another report complaining
about no kernel dump being saved.

This was supposed to work and did a time, and
since the driver code didn't change, I suppose
some other kernel code did.

If it is obvious from the sources, I'll suggest
a fix and send you a patch.

but I can't promise to get this fixed soon, since
my development system is currently installed at
my new place of employment, and I don't have access
to it, outside business hours. I'll either have
to buy a new development system or a new system for
the office work, and I'll try to decide this within
a week or two ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160