Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2019 11:03:45 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=c3=b6m?= <freebsd-database@pp.dyndns.biz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root volume renumbered unexpectedly, no longer boots

> 48 disks, actually. :)   Half of those are on an external JBOD connected
> via an LSI FC controller.  This server is significantly older than my
> association with it, so I'm uncertain about how the internal 24 drives are
> connected.  If it helps, dmesg only reports ses0 and ses1 drivers.  The
> boot disk and the first 24 ZFS drives are all on ses0.  I think that
> implies only two controllers in use, not three.

Yeah, I see now that your mainboard has a SAS controller in addition to
the Intel ICH10 controller. That BIOS setting I suggested would only
affect disks attached to the Intel controller. The SAS controller should
have it's own option BIOS settings, available through some key combo
during boot. I have no experience with these controllers though so I
couldn't tell if something in their settings suddenly made them report
disks in a different order. Hopefully someone who knows how they work
will read this and help you.

/Morgan