Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 19:55:15 -0800
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: about java

J Wunsch wrote:

> As Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > Or get (Jeffrey Hsu's native port of)
> >
> > ftp://freefall.FreeBSD.org:/pub/FreeBSD/LOCAL_PORTS/jdk102.tar.gz
>
> I always wondered why this ain't an official FreeBSD port.  Any
> reason?

There is a jdk in the ports tree, but AFAIK it only contains the sources
SUN publicly permits to distribute (too general to be really useful I
suppose). For non-commercial use you can get the source code and figure
out how o make it work but you cannot redistribute the real thing in
source form.
Recently, (I looked the new licensing schemes for jdk-1.1) binaries and
patches can be distributed if you sign, but still no source code.
JIC read at www.javasoft.com their licenses (I am not a lawyer).

Pedro.