Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 18:34:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot blocks Questions (was: superblocks in FFS)

> > Thanks for the fastest reply I have ever got!  For this above point, the
> > beginning of a FreeBSD slice should belong to the cylinder group 0 of the
> > first filesystem in the slice, although this filesystem may not be the
> > root filesystem.  Am I right?
>
> Not entirely.
>
> In order to simplify offset calculations, there's a large gap at the
> beginning of the filesystem.  If the filesystem starts at the very
> bottom of the slice, this gap will contain the disklabel and
> bootblocks.  If the filesystem is elsewhere, it's just empty.

Let me put my understanding in your words:  (1) The gap is BBSIZE bytes or
16 sectors. (2) This gap does not belong to cylinder group 0 and the size
of cylinder group 0 is BBSIZE less than other cylinder groups.  But if you
say this gap belongs to cylinder group 0 (the block bitmap will not
include them of course), then all cylinder groups are of the same size
(the last cylinder group may of a different size).

-Zhihui