Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 1995 12:32:13
From:      shane@et.pronex.com (Shane Anderson)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   modems

Well, I have taken the kind comments and suggestions and continued
to try to get a dial in connection, but to no avail.  Neither my
microcomm 28.8 nor my viva 14.4 (19200) will work.  They both
answer the phone fine and establish a connection, but high-order
garbage is still the order of the day.

This is most frustrating.  I have been in telecommunications in
the DOS world for over ten years and I feel like a total moron.  It
just can't be THAT hard.

I have gotten it to connect via an old 2400 bps viva at 2400.  THAT
was straightforward.  However, I don't see using that modem on
this machine.

As for the hs modems, I am not sure HOW to lock them at 38400 or
19200.  Anyone have an it string that will do this?   The HS light
does not light, and every time a connection is made, the modem
apparently reverts to 9600bps, notwithstanding all configs and a
stty -f /dev/ttyd0 38400 command.  Furthermore, setting my term
to 9600 does not make the garbage "go away."  Though I thought it
might be the result codes screwing me up, setting the X[n]
register to 0 does not help.  Any and all specific setup, init
info and help here would be appreciated.

I guess the question becomes then:  what high speed modem should I
purchase that WILL work, and where do I get it (if not an off-the
shelf modem)? If time is money, I have already spent the money for
the new modem... easily five time over. I might as well be done
with it.

shane

-----
Shane G. Anderson