Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 22:44:42 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Kirk Brogdon <kirk@alaptech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X problems after 4.1 upgrade

On 10/2/00, 9:51:56 PM, Kirk Brogdon <kirk@alaptech.com> wrote regarding=
=20
X problems after 4.1 upgrade:

> I recently upgraded from 3.4 to 4.1 and now X locks up as soon as I=20
run it.  I am using a Cirrus 5446 card, NLX board and AMD K6 processor. =
=20
This all worked fine on 3.4.  Even if I try to to run the X link=20
directly (by-passing the window manager) all I get are a bunch of pretty=
=20
colors and no way to break out other than the reset switch.

> I've re-installed xf86 and ran xf86config about 50 different times to =

the same result.  If I run the graphical setup (Xf86Setup) the screen is=
=20
jittering and degrades to the point that it is unuseable.  I've tried=20
the SVGA, vga16 and generic servers but no luck.

> Any ideas?

Dear Kirk Brogdon,

After upgrading from 3-S to the (then) 4-CURRENT, I met with annoying=20
X problems -- IIRC, PAM-related errors, albeit my configuration WAS=20
correct.

In the light of some remark I had read somewhere, I recompiled X and=20
the problems faded away...

HTH a little,
Salvo