Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:57:44 +0200
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron

+ Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>:

| On Tuesday, 17 August 1999 at  4:14:56 +0200, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
| > I am thinking of buying a Dell Inspiron 3500 (or maybe a 7000) to run
| > FreeBSD on.  Does anybody know any reason why I should have any
| > trouble with this?
|
| No, they're pretty good laptops.

Okay, and thanks to you and the others who responded.

| > Please reply directly to me; I'll summarize to the list.
| > (Beware the Reply-To field if you wish to reply to the list anyway.)
|
| It's standard policy to reply to both.

Um, I wasn't aware of that. Personally, I tend to get annoyed with
this practice, as I don't really care to get the same message
twice. But if this is standard practice on the freebsd lists I'll try
to stick to it.  Anyway, I received one helpful message that was not
sent to the list as well, so I'll stick by my promise and duplicate it
here:

+ "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>:

| I set up FreeBSD-3.2 (no PAO) on an Inspiron 3500 for our director.
| It went pretty well.  XFree86 (NeoMagic NM2200) works nicely.  Audio
| is pretty good (not great) with pcm and a few mixer adjustment to get
| some volume out.
|
| The internal modem is a winmodem and is useless under FreeBSD, get
| one of the pccard ones instead.
|
| The notebook is kind of on the heavy side (but I am a fan of
| ultralights) but not overly heavy (between 5.8 - 6.4 lbs, I believe).
| The screen seemed nice.  You can run the floppy and cdrom simultaneously
| (floppy on a special parallel port cable and cdrom in the bay).
|
| Suspend and resume worked ok.  I could scrounge up a kernel config.
| If I recall, the price has dropped pretty far on these guys.
|
| Hope this helps,

It sure did.  Thanks again!

- Harald