Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:22:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        Richard Jones <rjones@imcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS from a Linux server

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Richard Jones wrote:

> Guy Helmer wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Richard Jones wrote:
> >
> > > annexia  Linux 2.0.25 (RedHat 4.0)
> > > virgil   FreeBSD 2.2.1-release
> > >
> > > Oh dear! More problems with accessing a Linux server from
> > > FreeBSD.
> > >
> > > I managed to configure the FreeBSD box as a NIS client by
> > > editing /etc/sysconfig. I also added '+' to the end of
> > > /etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group. After rebooting,
> > > I can see the NIS password maps using "ypcat passwd", ie:
> >
> > OK, but did you add the + line to the end of /etc/master.passwd via
> > vipw(8)?  If not, the line probably hasn't been added to the /etc/pwd.db
> > and /etc/spwd.db databases, which is what the login and other commands use
> > to lookup password entries.
>
> No. Because when I used "vipw" to edit the password
> file, it would give the error:
>
> 	vipw: rebuilding the database ...
> 	pwd_mkdb: corrupted entry
> 	pwd_mkdb: at line #13
>
> Line 13, needless to say, is the "+". I also tried adding
> a line

> (9 ':'s) but that gave the same error.

That's odd.  On my 2.2-STABLE machine (post 2.2.2), adding that line
(+:::::::::) to the password files via vipw worked fine (no error).  No
significant change has been made to usr.sbin/pwd_mkdb/pw_scan.c since the
release of FreeBSD 2.0.5...

Just trying to help,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Computer Science Grad Student, Iowa State - ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu