Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:50:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jsegovia@cnc.una.py
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keep-state and fwd

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what is happening here.
I think i am kind of close to understanding. The basic problem is
that dynamic rules are bidirectional whereas 'fwd' rules are
unidirectional. So if you write your code without keep-state
you have something like

	20	fwd ... tcp from ... to any 25
	30	allow tcp from any to any

and the return packets match rule 30. With keep-state, and the
way you write your rules, you have packets in both direction
match the 'fwd' rule, apparently resulting in an infinite loop.

I am looking at a fix to make dynamic rules understand 'forward'
(basically do the address rewrite in one direction, and behave
as a 'pass' rule in the other one.

I hope to fix this for the release of -current .

	cheers
	luigi