Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 18:48:55 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        steve <syoung@idirect.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sliplogin troubles - routing problem?

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, steve wrote:

> The problem has shifted:  I removed the arp lines in slipup and slipdown.
> Now, upon establishing a connection, I can ping the world, dig, ftp, surf,
> anything, for about 2 min 57 sec!  Then, even if in the middle of an ftp
> transfer, poof, 0 communication, I can't even see a host on my own net, not
> even the oher side of the slip.

Are you or the other end running routed or gated?  A three minute timeout
sounds like a RIP expiry time.

If you are running gated or routed the sl* interfaces must be marked as
passive, i.e. don't expect information from the remote gateway, just assume
they are working.  Otherwise, gated/routed will expect the other end to
continually annouce its presence, and if it doesn't, the route will be
marked for deletion after 1 minute silence and deleted after a further
two minutes of silence.

Danny