Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:06:44 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz>
Cc:        Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo@freebsd.org>, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EHCI on armv6 with Write-Back caches

On Tuesday 18 December 2012 12:02:13 Andrew Turner wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:22:22 +0100
>
> Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 December 2012 08:49:31 Andrew Turner wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Oleksandr and myself have been looking into why when we enable the
> > > write-back cache on the PandaBoard there are kernel panics with
> > > USB. We have tracked it down to an issue appending the ehci_qh_t to
> > > the list at the end of ehci_setup_standard_chain().
> > >
> > > I have a patch at [1] that allows me to run sha256 on a 40MB file
> > > over NSF using the built in smsc USB ethernet chip. The problem is
> > > I have had to place a call to DELAY before EHCI_APPEND_QH. This is
> > > obviously not the correct solution.
> > >
> > > Is anyone able to help me narrow down what is missing? It appears
> > > to be a missing cache invalidate or flush somewhere but I haven't
> > > been able to track down what cache function the DELAY is working
> > > around.
> > >
> > > Andrew
> > >
> > > [1] http://fubar.geek.nz/files/freebsd/ehci_4.diff
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can you dump the DMA tag belonging to the QH via and check wether it
> > is mapped coherent or not. Thes QH- and TD- structures should not be
> > cache mapped. Else cache has not been disabled on those pages.
> >
> > qh->page_cache->tag

Hi Andrew,

> The BUS_DMA_COHERENT flag does nothing on armv6 as we need the cache
> enabled for atomic operations to work correctly and we would have to
> disable the cache on the entire page. This is acceptable behaviour from
> the description of the flag in the busdma man page.

Yes, but when I allocate memory from the USB stack, then I want that memory to
not be cached. It is simply not that useful to have that memory cached. I
didn't check the latest state of busdma, but if I'm not mistaken, if the
BUS_DMA_COHERENT flag is set on the DMA tag, the flush/invalidate will simply
return and do nothing. Maybe that is the problem ...

> Is there a reason the QH and TD structures shouldn't be cache mapped?

Because they are frequently used for setting up data operations, and the
flush/invalidate operate on the whole page where multiple tags can be present,
notably for the same USB transfer, under the same mutex. So it slows down
everything.

--HPS