Date:      26 Apr 1998 07:14:06 -0000
From:      Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        John Cavanaugh <john@bang.rain.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does /kernel: proc: table is full mean?

I am more questions than answers in this.

John Cavanaugh, on Sat 4/25/1998, wrote the following:

> I have got a FreeBSD box running:
>
> FreeBSD bang.rain.com 2.1.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Dec  7 07:50:1
> 2 PST 1995     john@bang.rain.com:/a/src/sys/compile/BANG  i386

Whoa, stone ages; before my time :)

> It had been up about 250 days with no problems when suddenly out of the blue
> last night I got this:
>
> Apr 24 21:37:54 bang /kernel: proc: table is full
> Apr 24 21:38:04 bang last message repeated 14 times
> Apr 24 21:38:04 bang sendmail[28488]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): SMTP-MAIL: cannot f
> ork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> Apr 24 21:38:04 bang /kernel: proc: table is full

I think (I am probably wrong and still new to FBSD), that this means
that the kernel thinks that all process entries are taken up (I am not sure
what would make it think that way, unless it really was).  What was
running at the time ?

Does anybody know with maxusers in the kernel config affects this?

> At this point, I could only get a root login and when I did I couldn't
> do anything (shutdown, reboot, ps, etc.) because there were "no more
> processes".  I had to physically reboot the machine to get it to come
> back.

Aren't a certain number of process reserved for root ?

> It came back up fine but I was curious as to what would cause this problem.

What was running ?

jay
--
Join the FreeBSD Revolution.