Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 14:43:28 -0700
From:      Peter Haight <psh1@cornell.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Autoconf macro for finding include subdirectories

>You can easily check where they install, by inspecting each port's
>pkg/PLIST.  Usually, the installed directory is the one the library
>intends as a default, so other software that uses those libraries finds
>it easily.  The installation is conditioned against the user's setting
>of PREFIX, because not everyone wants to use /usr/local.  The only ports
>I've had problems with are the tcl ones, for reasons that are very well
>known.
>
>All ports that use those libraries are already set up to find the
>required libraries correctly, with no modifications at all, irregardless
>of local PREFIX settings, as long as those settings are stable on any
>particular machine.

Ahh. The problem is not with other ports. The problem occurs when I'm
compiling something that is not in the port system. Also, I would like the
macro so I can send it to the authors of the program so that they can
include it in the next release. If that happens, then it is easier to
maintain the port since it will need less patches.