Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 95 10:00:43 -0500
From:      dab@berserkly.cray.com (David Borman)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        hartmans@mit.edu, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: telnetd fix

> From root@corbin.Root.COM Tue Oct 24 18:02:46 1995
> To: dab@berserkly.cray.com (David A. Borman)
> Cc: hartmans@mit.edu, security@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: telnetd fix
> From: David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 16:01:09 -0700
>
> >It's not that simple.  The whole point of the environment option is
> >to allow the passing of arbitrary environment variables, because you
> >don't know what poeple may want to pass through.  Changing telnetd to only
> >allow an enumerated list of variables through means that if I have some
> >private application that looks at an environement variable, and I want
> >to propogate that variable, I then have to go to the administrator and
> >ask that my personal variable be added to the list.
>
>    What can I say? It's a feature that has serious security ramifications that
> likely can't be completely worked around in all cases.
>
> >The current fix does the minimal amount of work needed to solve the
> >immediate problem, and a better long-term solution can be developed
> >without the pressure of getting out a fix ASAP.
>
>    I remain unconvinced that the list of envirnoment variables in the proposed
> patch is complete. After looking at the telnet manpage, I understand better
> the desire to keep the original functionality of being able to pass arbitrary
> variables, but honestly, I think this feature is only marginally useful for the
> generic case. Even in the case of DISPLAY, I have to add it to my standard
> .login because there are too many systems that I deal with that don't support
> telnet environment passing option.
>    At the moment, I'm seriously considering adding a switch to shut off the
> feature in FreeBSD's telnetd and making it the default in inetd.conf.
>
> -DG

I am currently testing new code in telnetd that will allow:
	1) Only a specific list of "safe" variables will
	   go directly into the environment.
	2) All other variables are encoded in such a way
	   to be "safe"; however after the user has logged
	   in they will need to run a program to make
	   those environment variables accessable.
	3) Provide a configuration file for telnetd to
	   custom tailor the "safe" variable list, along
	   with other configuration information.

Be patient, the quick patches solve the immediate problem, and provide
a little breathing room for working out a much better long term solution
to the problem.

I'll provide more details once I actually have working code.

			-David Borman, dab@cray.com