Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 23:15:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        scott <scott@chronis.pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system freeze: how to debug?

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, scott wrote:

> I have a 3.3 release system that keeps freezing when stressed. It is
> running postfix, and that's all.  When it freezes, there is no kernel
> dump, no console message, no log messages.  It simply will not respond
> to anything, console or otherwise, except to recycle the power.
>
> How do I get this system to be more informative about what is causing
> this problem?

Put
options		DDB
in your kernel config, config -g your kernel, make and install it, and wait
for it to hang.  When it does, use CTRL-ALT-ESC to break into the debugger.
Type trace <return>, copy down the output, then do panic <return> continue
<return>.

Save the crashdump, and post the stack trace.  There are instructions on
this in section 22 of the handbook <
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html > or your local copy.  You
probably should read that first.

Regards,