Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 18:39:12 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   better DSL bandwidth usage by priorizing ACKs in outgoing packets over others

Hi !

A collegue of mine has an Apple (Mac OS X) and told me about
a cool software, that priorizes outgoing ACKs over other traffic.

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:53:08PM +0200, andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de wrote:
> http://www.intrarts.com/quest/throttle.html

Using DSL you have usually 768K in and 128K out.
Figure a szenario, where you ftp like hell from a ftp
server. You get very good throughput, since the outgoing
ACKs of the incoming ftp data stream are not throttled by
128K outgoing bandwidth.

But if you start another application like cvsup at the
same time you'll notice an immediate throttle of incoming
packets, because cvsup monopolizes the outgoing 128K bandwidth.
And if the ACKs don't get out in a timely manner, you can't get
that much incoming FTP traffic.

The above mentioned software manages exactly this by using
a daemon program. With divert sockets and ipfw you send outgoing
traffic to this daemon which gives outgoing ACKs over the
128K higher preference and buffers the rest of the traffic
(I think).

Would something like this be possible anyhow with our current
Firewall implementation, or would somebody have time and fun
to implement this ??

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                             /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
http://www.64bits.de                     <  Powered by FreeBSD  >