Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:25:50 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron+usenet@coitusmentis.info>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ion3 port ?

On 2005-03-09, Xavier Maillard scribbled these
curious markings:
> Is there any plan on porting Ion3 into FreeBSD ? I tried by
> myself but it failed at configure stage arguing my system didn't
> have a dlopen function (Ion2 has been installed without any
> trouble here).
>
> Any idea ?

Basically, the people who designed the GNU (the same GNU as your Emacs
and domain name, that is) autotools assumed that The Whole World Runs
Linux[tm] and anyone who would ever want to use their tools Must Run
Linux Too[tm]. This means that they expect dlopen() to be in its own
library -- which is really a rather silly waste of inodes.  You'll need
to hack the configure script in order to fix the broken code written by
the GNU people as a result of their typically incorrect and annoyingly
numerous assumptions (can you tell that I've done more than a little
work with the GNU autotools suite?).

</rant>

Since, as I said, this is one of GNU's typically incorrect and
annoyingly numerous assumptions, many applications in the ports tree
have fixes for this assumption already -- there may even be a specific
variable that you can set in the Makefile, but I didn't find anything by
a quick grep through /usr/ports/Mk/* (that'd be a nice addition, IMO,
since it *is* such a common part of configure scripts, and it'd save the
ports maintainers a few moments' of work so they can do other things).

Best Regards,
Christopher Nehren
If you ask the wrong questions, you get answers like "42" and "God".