Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 1995 11:26:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, terry@cs.weber.edu, john@pyromania.apana.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SyQuest works with FreeBSD 2.0R !

> The real solution to removable media is to put some sort of ident in the
> disklabel (including time and system ID) and track that. If you have a mounted
> filesystem and get a UNIT ATTENTION then you can see whether it's been
> swapped or not.

At the moment, a unit-attention invalidates all accesses, until
all have been closed. (the device becomes 'locked'.
when the reference count has gone down to 0, the lock is released..

> (yes, you can still defeat this with a dd to the raw device)
not at the moment.....

> What would be really cool would be to create a new pseudo-device entry when
> you mount the device, and treat each volume as a separate device. Then you
> could simply stall attempts to access a filesystem mounted on a device that's
> been removed. Perhaps even have a hook to alert the user when they do that
> to insert the appropriate volume...
and send messages to the operator to mount volume "xxx"? hmm sounds
a bit like a certain large blue coloured machine I remember once..