Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:13:46 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Jo Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>, current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fast releases demand binary updates.. (Was: Release schedule for	2006 )

Daniel O'Connor wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:07, Jo Rhett wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:20:11PM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>>

>>>I imagine there are a few committers interested, but I'd say you need to
>>>ask the right way first..
>>>

>>As in...?
>>

>I don't know any personally, but then again I only know about 3 committers
>which is not a large percentage.
>

>>But again, there are lots of people interested in this topic.  Colin for
>>an obvious one.  But if Colin can't convince the team to take this on,
>>where do you start?
>>

>Colin is a committer.
>You write the code under his guidance.
>He commits it.
>
>So, there you go, problem solved.

That's true, if you can find a committer willing to help - and I think
that's the issue.  I've tried numerous times to contact committers of
certain areas, asking quick questions, or things like 'if I build this,
would it be comittable?' - with about 80% of the time receiving no
response.  Now, I'm not complaining, or claiming they should reply -
they are volunteers and already busy doing their regular life stuff in
addition to the FreeBSD code they contribute.  I'm just mentioning it as
a data point, that it is pretty hard to find a committer willing to
mentor someone, or at a minimum, give them pointers.  The -hackers list
is excellent as far as answering most technical questions (rapidly!),
but in the end, it is pretty difficult to find a committer to listen to
you, unless you already have patches ready to roll, since that takes
less time of course.

Maybe, on the FreeBSD developers page, we could have a list of
categories and mentors for those categories for those willing to work on
code to contact with questions, etc.  Then committers could volunteer as
a mentor for a category they enjoy..  Or is it enough to just post to
-hackers asking 'anyone want to mentor me?' ?

Eric