Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:55:01 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Urgent problem - 7.x doesn't work on HP servers

--------------enig3CF956B1B906DF44B7276FFD

Morten Str=C3=A5rup wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote:
>>
>> FYI, I'm not seeing anything like this on the two DL 145 boxes I'm=20
>> using for 10gbps testing with 7.x / 8.x.  I did have problems with at =

>> least a couple of the BIOS revs in the past, so I'd repeat the advice =

>> offered elsewhere in the thread and make sure that it's up-to-date. =20
>> There was one BIOS rev where I couldn't use a boot loader cross-built =

>> from i386 to amd64, but both the i386 boot loader and the natively=20
>> built amd64 boot loader worked fine.  The BIOS upgrade made the=20
>> problem entirely go away, go figure...
>>
>> Otherwise, you're probably down to the printf model for debugging,=20
>> unless you have an NMI button that can get into DDB?  Mine have NMI=20
>> buttons on the botherboard, I believe, but it requires opening the=20
>> case to get to.
>>
>=20
> Hi!
>=20
> It is possible to invoke an NMI through the Intregrated LightsOut=20
> management system that is built into the server.
>=20
> Look under Diagnostics when you get into the iLO system.

Thanks for the ideas, Robert and Morten - I'll try them. The reason I=20
thought it was something well known/common was that this is the second=20
HP system I tried 7.0 on (very different from each other) and both of=20
them failed in what looks as the same place :( It might just be bad luck.=

I have the machine on my desk so any other hardware-related ideas are=20
also welcome.