Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 07:04:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        marc@immersive.com
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptops?

> > So probably not a real PCI bus at all, but just a direct mapping of the
> > display into the processor address space, somewhat like what used to be
> > called "VLB video" back when VLB was all the rage.
>
> They call it PCI Local Bus.  I assume it's a translation error between the
> engineer and the ad copy writer.

I suspect internally it is a PCI bus using PCI support chips,
and if it has a docking station it adds external PCI usses.

Back to the original question, though, the TI 5100 and 5200 also
match your requirements but are steep and no, I don't know if they
work.  The best price I've seen on the 5100 is $4485.00 plus $1213 for
an additional 16MB RAM.  It appears that the 8MB upgrade will lock you
out of getting the max 32MB RAM, since they sell 8MB upgrade, 16MB upgrade,
and 8MB "clip" that clips on to the memory upgrade.

Basic specs are what you are looking for:

10.4" Active Matrix
1.2GB disk
8MB RAM
PCI bus
Various docking stations.

I think they have sound also.
They have a web page at "www.ti.com" that covers these notebooks.

Anyone used any of these?  I have to decide in the next day or two
if I'm going to get one.

--

Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936