Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 12:51:49 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is PPP now being used by all 3 *BSD's?

> On Sat, 3 Oct 1998 19:14:57 -0400 (EDT)
>  Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net> wrote:
>
>  > I got off my ass and am writing an article on creating a dial on demand
>  > ppp router for small ofices and lans and had "FreeBSD" strewn throughout
>  > but decided I would rather use "*BSD" instead to show a more united front
>  > and attempt to include everyone. But I didnt know if all 3 are using the
>  > brian's ppp work? I assume so but I wanted to know for sure.
>  > Anyone?
>
> NetBSD uses in-kernel PPP, not userland PPP.  pppd(8) does the PPP connection
> setup, and control messages, and stuff... but framing et al are all handled
> in the kernel by if_ppp.c
>
> Note that the PPP package we use also supports demand-dial and whatnot.

User-ppp has a few things that (AFAIK) pppd doesn't have.  Multi-link
is the big one, there's also terminal mode, aliasing (w/ transparent ftp,
nbt, irc & cuseeme support), packet filtering, ppp/tcp,
ppp/some-arbitrary-program, diagnostic port connections, dynamic IP
assignment and DNS negotiation (*client* & server).

I've also got some initial mods for radius support, but they need
some work (only authentication is there at the moment).

Of course pppd has its advantages - less passing of packets in & out
of the kernel for a start - and BSD compression.  I'm sure it's got
others too....

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;