Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 00:13:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brad Tucker <zvi@t-networking.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sat, 23 May 1998, Brad Tucker wrote:

> I have a freebsd box at home, and a win 95 box.  I have ethernet cards on
> both boxes.  In the freebsd box I have a modem.  I would like to use the
> freebsd box as a gateway for the win95 box.  I tried setting the
> geteway=yes in rc.conf.  this didnt seem to work.  When i try to ping
> somewhere thats not at home from the win95 box I get "Request Timed Out."
> Do I need to set the freebsd box to be a router??  Is there an easy way to
> tell the freebsd box to take any requests from the device ed0 and give
> them to the devices tun0?  Will someone please push me into the right
> direction.

1.  Make sure that `gateway_enable="YES"' is set in /etc/rc.conf.
2.  Run `sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1' if you don't reboot after
doing #1.
3.  When you dial up with `ppp', run it with the -alias option:

ppp -alias provider

4.  When the connection is made, fire up you Winblows box and enjoy.

-alias sets you up as Network Address Translation router.