Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:55:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
To:        Damian Gerow <damian@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP and media selection on bootup

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Damian Gerow wrote:

> I've tried setting to ifconfig_fxp0 lines in /etc/rc.conf, the first
> for the media selection and the second for the DHCP instruction, but
> that didn't work -- the card stayed in autoselect.
>
> Is there any way to manually set the NIC media, while retreiving the
> IP address via DHCP?

You may want to put the media-changing ifconfig command into
/etc/start_if.fxp0. You see, /etc/start_if.* scripts are executed by
rc before ifconfig_fxp0 settings in rc.conf are acted on. The trick
works for me; I have to change MAC address, not media options, but it
probably does not matter.

HTH,

Alex.

--