Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2006 10:27:47 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running -CURRENT in production (was: Am I an Idiot?)

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

[resequenced]

On Friday,  8 December 2006 at 17:15:49 -0600, Derek Ragona wrote:
> At 04:45 PM 12/8/2006, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We're running around 25 FBSD servers, mostly 6 and a few 5-STABLE. For a
>> few months, we also run our internal storage/smb/whatnot machine on
>> -current. Never had ANY issues. Just works, and better than 6-*.
>>
>> Now, we are about to replace our MX's and I'm thinking of deploying
>> -current on them instead of upcoming 6.2. Right now running tests on the
>> hardware, two ProLiant DL360G3 cpu's and everything looks just fine.
>>
>> Am I an idiot or is anyone else out there running -current on production
>> systems? I figured if one MX goes haywire at least we've got another
>> one... Very interested in your opinion.
>
> Best practices are to run only stable on production servers.

I used to run CURRENT on my machines all the time.  The main reason I
stopped was not reliability, but the fact that CURRENT changes so
frequently.  Time to upgrade the system is also down time.

At the other end of the scale, I have one machine which runs my beer
brewing and is now 6 years old:

  FreeBSD brewer.lemis.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Tue Dec 12 18:45:30 CST 2000     grog@monorchid.lemis.com:/src/FreeBSD/5.0-CURRENT/src/sys/compile/MONORCHID  i386

I've never had software problems with it.

Greg

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp--