Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 17:43:28 -0400 (AST)
From:      Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can I delete '/usr/ports'? safely?

	Why would you do that? The ports don't amount to much, probably
50 Mbytes max. Did you actually make all the ports (wow!)? If so, you can
just type "make clean"  right from /usr/ports and that should recover
lots of space for you (or just find the ones you've made: "find
/usr/ports work", go there and "make clean" them). Also,
/usr/ports/distfiles keeps all the downloaded tar files, you won't need
them after you install a port.

	Having the ports is a good idea, if you use cvsup it'll take care
of removing old ones for you (and downloading new ones, of course!). You
can even reject some ports by default (japanese and chinese come to
mind).

Antonio