Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:06:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: DPT boot

Eivind Eklund, On 22-Sep-98 you wrote:
>  I just tried to boot my box with a CAMified kernel, and found that it
>  wouldn't.  Everything probed fine, but after the NPX message it just
>  hung
>  for a long while.  After a number of minutes (more than 2, as that was
>  what
>  I tried first, but less than 17, which was when I got back to the box)
>  it
>  spit out a message (something like "CCB (0:0:0:0:0) Timed out" - I
>  unfortunately didn't write it down).

I get similar symptoms, but much shorter timeouts, like fraction of a
second per CCB.  Then I get the panic I reported.  since there is no
documentation for the driver layer, I can only guess at what I see;  for
each possible drive, there is a CCB.  Probably to handle the Inquiry or
some such.  For non-existing drives, these indeed should timeout.

>  This is with the following DPT controller:
>  dpt0: <DPT Caching SCSI RAID Controller> rev 0x02 int a irq 10 on
>  pci0.11.0
>  dpt0: DPT type 3, model PM3224W firmware 07H1, Protocol 0
>        on port d810 with Write-Back cache.  LED = 0000 0000
>  dpt0: Enabled Options:
>  dpt0: waiting for scsi devices to settle
>  scbus0 at dpt0 bus 0
>  ... and an Adaptec 2940:
>  ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 9 on
>  pci0.13.0
>  ahc0: aic7880 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
>  ahc0: waiting for scsi devices to settle
>  scbus1 at ahc0 bus 0
>
>  The CCB message was the only I got - no disk descriptions from either
>  controller (though I don't know if I should expect them - this is my
>  first
>  CAM experiement).

I would imagine these should come later, once the CCBs are answered.

>  Any clues?  Anything I should test?  (I can hook up a pretty complete
>  debugging environment here, including doing remote kernel debugging if
>  necessary - at the moment I also have 'scratch' disks I can use for
>  testing,
>  though not having this controller operational means I my main
>  workstation is
>  not usable, so I'd prefer to avoid tests that take a long time).

I assume this controller works on the pre-CAM driver... :-)

>  Oh, and while this was happening, the DPT kept a steady light #3 (as
>  counted
>  from the connector-less end of the DPT).

On a 3224 it is bus transfer from adapter, or adapter reset (depends on how
you look at it, and assuming first LED is 1).  If it is a transfer LED,
then the DMA engine is stuck.  If it is a reset, that means the controller
was reset and never released.  In either case I would suspect the
initialization code does not work correctly.  I have some work-work
emergencies to handle right now, but will start debugging this driver any
day soon.

``...And Carthage shall fall..'' - Cicero
``Documentation would have been nice'' - Simon

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             770.265.7340
Simon Shapiro

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth