Date:      Sun, 08 Jan 2006 10:03:23 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
Cc:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Damien Bergamini <damien@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel 2915abg and 11a

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> On 1/7/06, Max Laier <max@love2party.net> wrote:
>

>>is anyone successfully running their Intel 2915abg card in 11a mode with
>>the
>>iwi(4) driver?  I am wondering, because since 11a has been enabled in the
>>driver I can't use it anymore.  "fatal error" while scanning through the
>>11a
>>channels.  No matter what firmware I use.
>

>>Please let me know - if there are no positive reports I'd like to disable
>>11a
>>for the moment to have the driver working in 11b/g mode at least - which
>>it
>>does.
>

> I would be running it on 11a, but 11a doesn't seem to be working with
> 6.0-STABLE.  I have followed -CURRENT with my laptop in the past, but  I
> havn't yet decided to with 7.0

There is a #if 0 block of code in the attach method that adds the 11a
channels.  Until you enable that code the patch will not help with
operating in 11a.  I've verified that doing that + the patch enables 11a
operation.  I'm also sending Max an updated patch that uses the extended
scan cmd to do dual-band scanning w/ only one request.  This cmd also
lets you do things like specify passive scanning on channels where it is
required, and some other bits that will be useful in the future.

> One other issue I'm seeing, though, is that the iwi0 in my laptop which is :
>
> iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG> mem 0xdcfef000-0xdcfeffff irq 17 at
> device 3.0 on pci3
>
> ... is that the adaptor looses association with the access point and never
> regains it unless I down and up it...

The chip delivers a beacon miss notification event that appears to be
discarded by the driver.  I expect this is why you see the behaviour.

	Sam