Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:36:35 +0300
From:      "Max Kool" <koolmax@hotmail.com>
To:        "phrack_ p h r a c k" <phrack_@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dillema...

Update:

I managed to install FreeBSD. It really wasn't that bigger deal (this time
I read the online help :-)). Now I have another problem. X will
only start in 320x240x8bpp. I ran all the setup programs in the syinstall
utility:
- XF86Setup runs in 640x480x16 colours. I set everything up and when
I click 'done' it runs X.. in 320x240x8bpp. Dunno what's wrong with it.
- XF86Config seems to work but I still can't find any acceptable video
modes that will work on my machine. I have a Skywell Voodoo Banshee
graphics card (w/ 16 megs of RAM) and a Ultra monitor, neither of which
are selectable in the program's lists. I only got X to run in the same
resolution and colour depth as the XF86Setup program, and even that
after an hour or so of struggling. Note this is the exact same problem
I had with RedHat, except now I have 2 other setup programs that still
don't help.
- XF98Setup won't start. After I 'press enter to switch to graphical mode',
it just hangs. Which leads to another question: how do I do a warm reset
in FreeBSD and Linux?

Someone else said it was the TAB key but I'll try them both :-)

> See screenshotz come in handy =).

Yeah thanks! The online help was also handy though, as you forgot the root
partition in your screenshot :-)

> Uhm hope that helpz, if you need like
>this book called the complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey uhm i dunno if it's
like
>commiting a crime er what not, but i can like happily scan tha pages and
>burn all these pics to a cd and mail tha cd to someone, if they don't have
>like internet access or like they're hittin a slump and can't pay for all
>this stuff (40$ book) but still want to learn, uhm guess that'd be muh good
>deed for tha day. guess just send an address for me to mail it to and give
>me like a week to get it burned,

Thanks, nice of you to say that (even nicer if you meant it :)) ! But all
I need is to get X, net access and some net software up and running...

>Or if yur in like a hurry to learn this
>stuff just lemme know what chapter you need i'll get that to ya asap...
>here's the chapters...
> 9.Setting up X11
> 10.XFree86 Configuration in depth
> 25.Configuring PPP