Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 08:02:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, ccd@stampede.cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: ccd offset, please review + test

> Below is a small patch to make ccd ignore the first 16 sectors in the
> component partitions.  The purpose of this is to allow people to do
> things like
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd237 bs=512 count=2 # destroy slice table
> disklabel -wr sd237 auto                      # create default label
>
> and then just use /dev/sd237c et al. for the ccd components.  I
> temporarily turned off the "4.2BSD" type check too, this part won't be
> permanent, but for now, it is necessary for the above to work because
> /dev/sd237c will be marked "unused".

And /dev/sd237c should _not_ be used.  You should manually go add a
/dev/sd237a and use that for the ccd, this should eliminate your problem.

> >From what I understand (which is certainly not very much), the reason
> why the above doesn't work with the current ccd code is because the
> disklabels are at the beginning of the slices, and "disklabel ccd0"
> will confuse the first component's disklabel with the ccd's (i.e., if
> you combine /dev/sd237c and /dev/sd280c in this order to create ccd0,
> sd237's disklabel will be confused as ccd0's disklabel).

You should be combineing /dev/sd237a and /dev/sd280a to create ccd0.

> Also, the first 16 sectors of the slices are read-only, so ccd will
> fail at some point if you have a component (not the first one) that
> starts at the beginning of the slice (i.e., if you combine /dev/sd237g
> and /dev/sd280c, where sd237g doesn't start at the beginning of the
> slice, it will appear to work for a while but fail at some point when
> the driver actually tries to write something to the first 16 sectors
> of sd280).

Fixed if you use /dev/sd280a.

> Of course the man page tells you not to use a partition that starts at
> the beginning of a slice, but the above command samples are very
> convenient.

Conventient, but wrong to do.  UNIX has reserved xxYc for as long as
I can remeber, using it for file systems is a sure fire way to burn
yourself.

> Consider yourself to be a novice sysadmin who just
> installed FreeBSD for the ccd driver and also purchased 64 4-gig
> Atlases for the news spool (and aren't particularly in the mood of
> diving into the disklabel man page :).

Novice system admins should be let close to $64,000 disk arrays.  :-)