Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 95 14:22:16 -0700
From:      tony@thing.sunquest.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   MBR/Win95/IDE (3 questions)

I've asked these questions -questions twice before, never got a reply.

Sorry, if it's inappropriate for -hackers.

-- mbr --
I read the diskspace FAQ (have made bootable root recovery floppies etc from
scratch), but I'm still unsure on exactly how the FreeBSD bootloader works :-)

Is there any docs on the bootloader other than the diskspace FAQ ?

Pretty clear on the basics - whatever MBR slice is marked active (0x80) on the
C disc (a SCSI in my case) gets it's boot sector loaded in.

However, when the FreeBSD bootloader prompts me for a choice, where does it
get this info from ? Does the information on other bootable selections come
from the FreeBSD bootloader rescanning the MBR, or is there some configuration
file I'm missing (I think the former, though since I can't find any
documentation [maybe I'm not looking in the right place] I guess there could
be some other config file I'm missing)

-- win95 --
I've heard a lot of people complaining about not being able to configure
Win95 and FreeBSD via the FreeBSD bootloader. Has anyone been able to do
this ?
Any similar problems with FreeBSD and NT ?

-- IDE --
I'm currently 100% SCSI, but will likely be getting El Cheapo EIDE disc for
Windoze.

If the bios boots from the IDE disc, which I think is the default (I'll clearly
need the FreeBSD bootloader on the IDE disk) does this imply that the boot
default (if I don't select a device) will have to be a slice on the IDE disk
(i.e Windoze, not FreeBSD).
Basically back to the above question of how the boot loader works, how (if
at all) I can configure it.
I'd like the default to always be boot FreeBSD, even if I the bios boots IDE.

Otherwise, I guess I'm looking at disabling IDE booting in the BIOS, and then
see if the FreeBSD boot loader from the SCSI disc will be able to boot
Windoze off the IDE disc.

Anyone got any advice/comments/pointers to documentation ?

Thanks!

tony